People will ask you the weirdest, nosiest most obnoxious questions when you tell them your marriage is over. As a woman who made the decision to end my marriage, the reaction of bewilderment by some people was beyond frustrating. Here are the top dumbest divorce questions I got asked;
1. Did he have an affair? Yes, right and I’m going to share something so humiliating
2. Did you have an affair? Yup, let me tell you all the sordid details but you have to promise to tell no one!
3. You weren’t happy? No, I was over the moon with happiness that’s one of the reasons I walked away, duh!
4. Are you bipolar? I haven’t been officially diagnosed yet but if leaving my husband is akin to being unbalanced, then I guess I am
5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Not here! and even if I had dreams for my life what gives you the right to question them?
6. Is there an event you can tell me about that can help me understand your decision better? Yes, the time when (fill in the blank with something shocking) and I was horrified! Does that event meet your divorce barometer?
It is unfair to expect someone to share such personal details of their marriage. Before asking a question ask yourself, would I want to answer this about my own marriage? If the answer is no, then the question shouldn’t be asked. This is all we need to know;
If you know someone going through, or initiating a divorce refrain from asking dumb divorce questions. Instead offer unconditional support, without judgment. Simply being there and listening are all that’s required to be a source of support to friend, sibling, son or daughter. If you are on the receiving end of obnoxious questions, just nod and smile and know that these people are trying to understand you and are grappling with their own problems and decisions. Hold your head high and be proud of your decision and remind yourself…
This can be your little secret;
What was the dumbest divorce question someone asked you?
p.s I should mention the questions were actually asked of me however, the outrageous answers I give have no factual basis.